|Name:||Positive Steps Outdoors C.I.C.|
|Address:||32 Lakeland Manor, Anahilt , Down, BT26 6RE|
|Primary Contact||Alan Elwood|
|Location(s):||Antrim, Armagh, Derry~Londonderry, Down, East Belfast, Fermanagh, Greater Belfast, North Belfast, South Belfast, Tyrone, West Belfast|
|Clause(s):||Health and wellbeing initiatives, Paid employment, Paid employment for education leavers, Paid employment for long term unemployed|
|Priorities:||Looked after children / care leavers, People 25 and over who have been unemployed for more than 12 months and are seeking employment, People at risk of criminality / with an offending background, People in or leaving education, People under 25 who have been unemployed for more than 6 months and are seeking employment, People with a disability|
Positive Steps Outdoors is a social enterprise born out of the vision that connecting people to the natural environment, and each other, helps individuals and teams manage life’s pressures, build sustainable networks, strengthen future resilience and deepen their affinity with the environment. People differ in their awareness of what our majestic destinations truly have to offer and, in the knowledge, skills and confidence to make the most of them. Simply put Positive Steps Outdoors provide unique experiences, and equipment if required, that help people overcome barriers to engaging with the natural environment, providing the space for physical activity and mental health self-care in the process.
The experiences we create provide the chance for physical activity in the natural environment, treating the people you care about to some mental health self care. This ‘green therapy’ can be the sole purpose but equally it may be part of a wider agenda, such as gaining environmental awareness, improving group cohesion, building leaders and teams, solving problems or breaking down silos.
Our core service provides impactful days out to novel destinations such as Forest and lowland – a different day out; Accessible moorland – unique experiences and Rewarding uplands – soft adventure. With a central aim of (1) Self care – removal from day to day life and stressors (2) Periods of reflection (3) Connecting with others and the environment through shared experience (4) Events with value, helping to build self-esteem (5) Set the conditions in which leaders and teams gel to see challenges through a new lens.
We have the ability to ‘wrap around’ our core service complementary aspects including Training (such as leave no trace, navigation, outdoor first aid etc); Mindfulness, T’a Chi and Chi Kung to improve connectedness with the environment and each other; Environmental, flora and fauna awareness to make tangible issues such as climate change and sustainability; Giving back through assisting other charities or social enterprises with a focus on the natural environment; Learning about geology, history and culture to enhance appreciation of locations as relevant to shaping the built environment; Building team cohesion, leadership and culture (analysis, critical thinking, planning, communications skills and breaking down silos); and, Coaching and strategizing on the move to strengthen individuals and teams and solve problems.
1. Communities covering location based community groups, social issues or housing focused community groups, special needs community groups, mental and physical health groups, schools, covering pupils, teachers and parents, community groups for young people, community groups for the vulnerable / disadvantaged / homeless and Other community structures
2. Employers that take staff mental and physical wellbeing seriously, invest in their people – building resilience and refining leadership, are committed to the Sustainable Development Goals, value strong community connections and have a proactive approach to ESG.
1. We provide opportunities for people to connect with each other through purposeful physical activity that engages with green spaces and promotes positive mental and physical health.
2. We partner with organisations as they support positive mental and physical wellbeing in a way that truly benefits individuals, businesses and the economy.
3. We support environmental connection, understanding and responsibility through personal and practical experience.
32 Lakeland Manor, Anahilt , Down, BT26 6RE